Comparison: when operator<() is better than opCmp()

Jay Norwood jayn at io.com
Mon Sep 10 04:30:23 PDT 2007

Giuseppe Bilotta Wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm quite a newbie at D programming, although I have some
> programming experience in languages such as C, C++, Ruby.
>
> I've been initially attracted to D by its native support for the
> 'real' floating point type with the proper native support for nans
> and infinities, and I've been thinking about doing some serious
> scientific computing stuff in it.
>
> As it happens, my university career has brought me to the field of
> 'reliable computing', and things such as interval analysis and
> affine arithmetic. So I've decided to try my bones at programming
> in D by implementing some reliable computing classes (intervals,
> affine expressions, and other forms which are the fruit of my
> research).

I ran across what seems to be a very clearly written C++ arbitrary precision package at the following link.   It includes integer, float, complex precision and interval precision.  It might make a nice extension to the current D built-in capabilities.  I'm attempting a port of this as my first use of D.

http://www.hvks.com/Numerical/arbitrary_precision.htm

One additional thing I'd be interested in seeing is support for fixed point arithmetic with N bit, since the dsp applications which I simulate are done on fixed point processors.  It would be nice to have a general purpose evaluator that would handle the dsp fixed point expressions accurately, with hooks for handling overflow and rounding modes.