cast(!const) proposal

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 12:01:41 PDT 2007

"Janice Caron" wrote
> On 9/11/07, Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I don't agree.
>
> Seems to me that you and I are actually in complete agreement. (Well,
> one of my replies starts with "But" - see below).

Hm... in that case, I misunderstood this extra "pointer to int"
specification, and I also don't understand why this even needs to be
specified :)  It seems redundant.

I interpreted your post as you were trying to say if you have a mutable
pointer to immutable data, you cannot cast the mutable pointer type into a
mutable integer without doing a !const cast.  That was where my disagreement
was.  Since the pointer is mutable, it should be perfectly legal to cast it
into another compatible mutable type without a !const cast.

yes/no?

-Steve