Const sucks

Paul Anderson paul.d.anderson.removethis at comcast.andthis.net
Tue Sep 11 13:06:16 PDT 2007

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Const, final, invariant, head const, tail const, it's grown into a
> monster. It tries to cover all the bases, but in doing so is simply not
> understandable.
>
><snip>

This seems to have generated a lot of discussion...

I just want to weigh in with a strong vote of approval for Walter, Andrei and Bartosz's proposal. I like it. It works and the syntax is straightforward.

Admittedlly there may be cases where a different syntax/keyword/implementation would work better for that case, but overall I think they've achieved good coverage with minimal structure.

Paul