D on Visual Studio?

Martin Fuchs martin-fuchs at gmx.net
Wed Sep 12 01:07:12 PDT 2007

> There is DDBG that works under code blocks. Most of item a is available
> and much of item b is there but not integrated (expression work but aren't
> available from the IDE, watches don't work etc.)
>
> There is room for improvment but it's a start

Well, I tried Code::Blocks and the DDBG integration with the current
development snapshot.
First of all I must say, I had some hassles setting up the environment to
build and debug a test program:

- There was missing the -g linker option in the default debug settings of
Code::Blocks.

- To configure the debugger I had to specify the GDB wrapper script
"ddbg_gdb.bat" instead of "ddbg.exe" itself in code block's toolchain
configuration.

OK, now I can build D programs and launch thd ddbg debugger in Code::Blocks.
But what I am still missing is:

You can't see the contents of all varaiables. For example it isn't even
possible to display strings and array variables in the watch window.
This is what I described in my initial post. So again: What exactly is the
problem - Is there only missing some extension to display complex types in
the debugger or is the information completely missing in the debug
information generated by the compiler? If it's only a debugger display
program, it's only a matter of time when the goal will be reached. In the
second case it might require a completely new debug info format. So the
compiler *and* the debugger would require some rewrite.