D on Visual Studio?

Martin Fuchs martin-fuchs at gmx.net
Wed Sep 12 04:44:38 PDT 2007

> Not to advertise or anything, but such an IDE does exist:
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent .
> In fact, I think some of the other IDEs (Code::Blocks or Poseidon, maybe?)
> have those features, too.

OK, Descent is quite usefull to write code in Eclipse with its convenient
source code editor. But what's missing here is the integration with
Eclipse's build system: You have to use rebuild.exe of DSSS in an aditional
external build configuration in order to compile your source code. Launching
and debugging the executable is also nit quite forward: You have to setup
the launch configuration by hand, the default behavior is not correct. And
when using the debugger DDBG in Eclipse, the same problems as in
Code::Blocks apply: Evaluating expressions works only for some very basic
variable types. If you want to display global variables, you have to prefix
the variable name with the module name by hand.

So currently it's all not quite ready to be used without problems. And in no
way comparable to using the VC++ IDE for C++ programs.