D on Visual Studio?

Martin Fuchs martin-fuchs at gmx.net
Wed Sep 12 05:07:58 PDT 2007

> When displaying the value of the 's'-variable, the debugger just prints
> "18401976358273026" instead of the string content. It seems it handles
> pointer/array values as values of type "ulong" and only displays the
> memory address. This is all the same in Eclipse/descent, in Code::Blocks
> and on the command line using ddbg.exe.
> The same problem applies not only to strings, but also for example to
> int[] arrays. For example look at the "pi.d" example code and try to
> display the 'p' and 't' array contents in the debugger.

Ooop, I must apologize a bit. I found my problem: There was an older version
(January 2007) of the DMD compiler in my path, which seems to generate
incomplete debug information. Using the current version, I can now also
evaluate strings and arrays - with Descent and also in CodeBlocks.

May be I can now start writing some usefull D programs, as there are now
"only" missing some extended capabilities like "quick view", variable
evaluation in tooltips, smart code completition, ... in the D IDEs.  ;-)