Transitive const sucks

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Sep 12 07:37:43 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>>
>> I suspect this means that D apps won't look very much like C++ apps in
>> terms of how const is used, and the overall utility for the average
>> programmer may well be somewhat small.
>
> Yes, it will be used differently. Whether it is overall better or not
> only experience will tell.

This was perhaps too strong a statement on my part.  Given the design of
const, I'm beginning to suspect that while the syntax of D is fairly
similar to C++, I think the structure of a D app five years from now may
well look very little like that of a C++ app.  The recent D features all
lend themselves to a more functional style of programming.  This is
probably a good thing in terms of scaling towards the future, but it
could be surprising for someone who thinks D is C merged with Java :-)

Sean