Walter is right about transitive readonly - here's the alternative

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Thu Sep 13 17:04:49 PDT 2007

Janice Caron wrote:

> ....what a pity D doesn't do smart pointers. Should we start a thread
> on that? I must assume that it's been discussed before.

Whoa take it easy. I actually like to keep up with the newsgroups, but
there has been lots of posts lately, and I also have a lot of other
stuff to do. (and many others should be in the same situation)
Besides, I'm waiting for the videos of the conference to be posted to
know more about upcoming features and not discuss stuff that has already
been discussed. In particular the opImplicitCast seems that it may allow
doing stuff like smart pointers and whatnot.

> Anyway - I think you've cracked it. Nice one!

I have? Well, I actually think other things I (and others) have said are
far more important (that not having tail const/invariant will suck
terribly, and that pure functions should be used for multithreading
safety instead of const/invariant, which was not designed for that).
But I think this round of discussion is coming to an end. We'll have to
wait until the Inner Circle finishes their next batch of deliberations
and changes, and presents them to the NG, so that another near-futile
discussion begins. Oh the joy of the D design process... ^^

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student