D Conference Tango Phobos

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Sep 14 07:05:24 PDT 2007

simax wrote:
> Sean Kelly Wrote:
>
>> simax wrote:
>>> What we need is: the main phobos and tango developer must sit together an find fast any compartible solution.
>>>
>>> But, what did these on the conference?
>>
>> We talked and agreed that the situation had to change, but since then
>> most/all of us have been terribly busy.  I won't have much time to work
>> on Tango for another two weeks or so, and I suspect that I am not alone
>> in this regard.  So please have patience and trust that progress will be
>> made, it may just be a while before this is evident.
>
> Thank you for the clear statement. I am sure, many d developers have waiting for this.
>
> How can we help you?

Well, the first issues to address are the few incompatibility points
between Tango and Phobos within the runtime, the most visible being
Object.toString in Phobos vs. Obejct.toUtf8 in Tango.  This likely means
toUtf8 in Tango will have to change to toString, so if anyone absolutely
hates the idea, you're welcome to say so :-)  However, I suspect there
is a quiet majority using Phobos, so even valid arguments against the
way it does things may have to be ignored if the change would break some
user-visible portion of the Phobos library.  Suggestions here are
welcome also.

Sean