D Conference Tango Phobos

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 07:19:56 PDT 2007

"Sean Kelly" wrote
> Well, the first issues to address are the few incompatibility points
> between Tango and Phobos within the runtime, the most visible being
> Object.toString in Phobos vs. Obejct.toUtf8 in Tango.  This likely means
> toUtf8 in Tango will have to change to toString, so if anyone absolutely
> hates the idea, you're welcome to say so :-)

Can you just have both?  i.e.:
alias toUtf8 toString;

Of course, one has to override only the real one in the classes, so I guess
that becomes ambiguous as to which one is better.

To me, I think toString is more clear.  BTW, I think utf-8 has multi-byte
characters.  If that's the case, then isn't toASCII more appropriate?

> However, I suspect there is a quiet majority using Phobos

I used Phobos for about 4-5 days until I started wanting to use network
sockets and select.  Then I discovered that Phobos' support of it was rather
lacking, and looked around and landed on tango.

I like it much better.

I think more people would use Tango if it was downloaded by default.  Sort
of like the Netscape vs. IE...

BTW, I'm not saying phobos sucks, I'm just saying I prefer tango.  Except
for toUtf8 :)

-Steve