D Conference Tango Phobos

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 08:30:47 PDT 2007

"Regan Heath" wrote
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> The good thing about UTF-8 is that it does not depend on locale.  UTF-8 in
> one locale is identical to UTF-8 in another.  It therefore does not imply
> any particular language either.
>
>> Not something I wish to do when I'm probably only going to use toUtf8 as
>> a debugging mechanism :)
>
> I can understand that, and that's the beauty of UTF-8, 16, and 32 they can
> all represent any character anyone could possibly want to use independant
> of locale or language.

Thank you for the explanation, I totally understand now :)

BTW, I still prefer toString :)

Perhaps to clarify that toString is not returning a tango.text.String, maybe
tango.text.String could be changed to tango.text.Utf8String? ;)  I see
myself using toUtf8 way more than using tango.text.String, so I'd rather
have the annoyance there.

-Steve