D Conference Tango Phobos

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Sep 14 10:33:38 PDT 2007

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> BTW, I still prefer toString :)

Frankly, I don't even mind toString too much.  It's toWString and
toDString I have a problem with :-)

> Perhaps to clarify that toString is not returning a tango.text.String, maybe
> tango.text.String could be changed to tango.text.Utf8String? ;)  I see
> myself using toUtf8 way more than using tango.text.String, so I'd rather
> have the annoyance there.

tango.text.String is kind of a quantum string, since it can basically be
manipulated as a char[], wchar[], or dchar[] (ie. utf-8, utf-16, and
utf-32).  So Utf8String isn't really appropriate :-)  The name would
have to change to something else generic like 'Text'.

Sean