D Conference Tango Phobos

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Sep 14 15:17:46 PDT 2007

Janice Caron wrote:
> On 9/14/07, simax <simax at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> I haven't used Tango (yet?). But I don't think I'll try it if it means
> I'll have to stop using Phobos. I had originally assumed it was an
> add-on, not a replacement. Is that wrong? Anyway, if it's a
> replacement, that's definitely a disincentive.

Yep, that's what all the hubub is about.

> After all - why rewrite writefln()? It's already there. (...as in, in Phobos).

Better support for localization for one.  Tango's routines let you
change the order of arguments in the format string, since the grammars
of different languages don't always use the same word order.  You can
say "{1} is {2}" in Tango, in contrast to "%s is %s" of writefln.

But it's definitely an "if it ain't broke..." kind of situation.  For
most folks writefln does what they need with a minimum of fuss.  Heck,
Walter seems to still use printf even.

--bb