Two "standard" libraries???

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Sep 14 16:57:22 PDT 2007

Stewart Gordon wrote:

> But I wonder how much different it would be if people didn't regard
> Tango as what it isn't.  I'm not sure if this can be said without
> implying disrespect to the developer(s) of Tango, but for those who want
> _one_ standard library, there's Phobos, which is the _real_ standard
> library, just as it was before Tango was conceived.

Yup.  And to be frank, I don't think any member of the Tango team has
ever claimed that Tango is a "standard library."  However, this is
really a semantic issue because the compatibility problem does exist, so
for better or worse, it's not really possible to use Tango and Phobos
together in the same app at the moment.  If you'll forgive my hubris, I
/do/ believe the Tango runtime is better than the Phobos runtime, but
this basically means that I think it would be foolish to just toss out
the Tango runtime and turn Tango into another user-level library.  And
that's why we are where we are today :-)

Sean