Two "standard" libraries???

Brad Anderson brad at dsource.org
Fri Sep 14 20:08:42 PDT 2007

Carsten Sørensen wrote:
> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> That is why I mentioned "consideration for each other". Both Walter and the
>> Tango crew will need to give ground and co-operate to arrive at a good
>> outcome for us innocent bystanders.
>
> I couldn't agree more.
>
> I turned up late at the D party, and I have to say - this place is on
> FIRE. Good vibes. Tell your friends, cos this is where it's happening.
>
> But man, I wish those two guys in the corner would just get along you
> know? They're just ruining the mood.
>
> Seriously, as a late comer is pretty difficult to choose between phobos
> and tango, because you really do have to make a choice here. Either you
> stick with the default and its defects or the new kid and try to forget
> about all the other software out there.
>
> There are so many libraries I'd like to use, but it seems none are
> compatible.
>
> Diversity here is NOT a good thing. Sun fought Microsoft over this very
> issue and won (thank God). D needs ONE standard library to succeed.
>
> What I would like to see is tango being adopted as _the_ standard
> library for D. Clean slate. Possibly with a phobos compatibility layer.
> If that's not possible, simply drop phobos and force people to use to
> use tango with D 3.0. It might seem like a big deal, there's well over
> 100.000 posts on these groups, but seriously - compared to the C++,
> Ruby, Python or any other community we're tiny, and it's now the
> decision has to be made.

*sigh*

When you see a post from Sean Kelly saying that both parties are working
toward this very goal of consolidation, does that mean nothing?

I guess I appreciate the re-re-iteration of the point that "two is bad"
by multiple posters, but give the parties involved some time.  It's been
three weeks since their meeting at the conference.  Everyone came out of
that room fairly optimistic and w/o daggers in their back (i.e. they
*are* getting along and not ruining any mood).  Walter has a better
appreciation of how much is actually in Tango, and the Tango folk were
able to gather first-hand Walter's main points of concern.  So they got
busy between then and now... no big deal.  I imagine Sean's pluggable
runtime and gc talk did wonders, and Derek's post about giving ground is
right on.  They will both have to do so.  So we sit here patiently, and
in the end, we will get the best of both?  Sounds like a deal to me.

Maybe we all just chill out?  I can't imagine that learning some of the
things in Tango that aren't in Phobos would be a *bad* thing... So head
on over to Tango's wiki and pick up a chapter and wail on it.  Logging,
clustering, i/o, networking, collections, math...

http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/Manual

BA