D Conference Tango Phobos

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 14 22:41:35 PDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote:
> Better support for localization for one.  Tango's routines let you
> change the order of arguments in the format string, since the grammars
> of different languages don't always use the same word order.  You can
> say "{1} is {2}" in Tango, in contrast to "%s is %s" of writefln.

I understand why that functionality is a good thing, but why should
that mean the libraries are incompatible? Why not just give the
function a different name, e.g. echo instead of writef, echoln instead
of writefln?

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but what if I want argument reordering
/and/ formating? e.g. suppose I want to echo the second argument as
"%+6.2f"?

Or ... maybe formatting should be independent of output stream anyway.
Maybe it should be writefln(format(...)) instead?

Anyway, compatibility is way more important that what any given
function actually does, so really that, I agree, is the issue.