Two "standard" libraries???

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat Sep 15 02:50:14 PDT 2007

Stewart Gordon wrote:

> Here's how I see it.  D has one standard library.  That one standard
> library is Phobos.  I.e. Phobos is part of the D standard.  Tango
> isn't.  Rather, Tango is an _alternative_ to the standard library; to
> call Tango a standard library strikes me as nonsense.

Actually there are two versions of this standard library, just
as there is two versions of the standard compiler: DMD and GDC.

Phobos and gPhobos are much more similar than Phobos and Tango,
but different enough for the changes to get somewhat annoying...

So beyond the standard and alternative libraries, we also have:
the reference compiler/library and the portable compiler/library.

--anders