D Conference Tango Phobos

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 15 04:08:03 PDT 2007

On 9/15/07, renoX <renosky at free.fr> wrote:
> Sorry but if the translated strings contains variables, the translators
> must know the variables they can have so that they can put them at the
> correct location.

Why so?  It is just as easy to translate "Reading file {1}" into
Chinese as it is "Reading file {filename}".

In anticipation of the argument that "Reading file {filename}" is more
meaningful than "Reading file {1}", I point out that that is only true
in English. Somewhere along the line, you might end up having to
translate from Chinese to Russian or something, and by that point the
string might as well read "Reading file {ファイル名}". Numbers are
preferable because they are internationally neutral.

> > (I did say internationalisation really requires its own thread!)
>
> Agreed.

Then ... should we start one and move this discussion there?