D Conference Tango Phobos

Peter C. Chapin pchapin at sover.net
Sat Sep 15 04:45:04 PDT 2007

simax wrote:

> I like D and i would like to see it successful. But i think, the
> current situation without 'one' standard library can't be successful.

I'd like to echo these concerns. I've been watching D for some time with
the desire to start using it in real projects. I was quite pleased when
v1.0 started to become stable. However, now I feel inhibited by this
library issue. Arguments like "try both and use the one you like better"
don't work for me. If I create a D library, I want it to be (easily)
usable by the largest audience possible. That means I want to base it on
the standard library that "wins." Right now I can't tell which one that
is and so... I don't produce any D code. I don't actually care which
library is better or about their different design philosophies. I care
about standardization and stability.

I was pleased to see some of the posts in this thread indicating that
the D community is also concerned about this matter and that there are
steps being taken to address the issue. I wish those involved the best
of luck. There are definitely at least a few people who are not
currently working with D because they are waiting for some kind of
reconciliation between Tango and Phobos. I am such a person.

Peter

P.S. Feel free to make all the incompatible changes you like to either
Phobos or Tango. I'm not using either right now so it doesn't matter to
me. :-)