D Conference Tango Phobos

kris foo at bar.com
Sat Sep 15 17:17:13 PDT 2007

> Janice Caron wrote:
>> Module names in mixed case!? Did the Tango folk not read the D style
>> guide where it says "Module and package names are all lower case, and
>> only contain the characters [a..z][0..9][_]", or did they just
>> purposefully decide to avoid it? If the former, that was amateurish;
>> if the latter, it was petty.

Do you *honestly* think we've spent this formidable effort in creating a
rich, fully-featured and cost-free library, for people like you to use
(if you so desire), just because we need to satisfy an urge to be
"petty" or "amateurish" ?

>> Granted, Tango has extra functionality, but why not just provide that
>> as add-ons to Phobos, using the same style and naming conventions?

You assume that we didn't try to do that?

>> My apologies if I come across as contentious. I realise I'm a newbie
>> in this group. But that is the first impression I get from looking at
>> the Tango docs. I just ask myself over and over again, "Why did they
>> do that?" (...which should be regarded as a rhetorical question which
>> really means "I wish they hadn't done that").

So, help us clean up the Documentation? Tango has matured rapidly, given
the number of (very capable) people involved:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/Contributors

The biggest problem for us is a simple one: we need people to help us
with the doc. Wanna help?

You can always push to get changes made in the library also. If you look
at the issue-list for Tango, there's all kinds of changes that have gone
in since January. It's a /very/ active and fertile library. While we do
get some tricky requests, most active participants tend to find their
wishes are treated with a sense of urgency. Turnaround time for some of
those have been measured in seconds ;)