Two "standard" libraries???

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Sun Sep 16 03:36:55 PDT 2007

Peter C. Chapin wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't say "everybody happy."  I think it's terrible.  You still have
>> two libraries that provide more or less the same functionality but with two
>> completely different designs.  Conceptually it just doesn't make sense, even
>> if they can be used together.  Tango is meant to _supplant_ phobos, not
>> _work along side it_.
>
> Personally I don't have a problem with two different libraries that do
> more or less the same thing getting used together. It happens a lot.
> Suppose library X uses (for example) XML library A, and library Y uses
> XML library B. A program wishing to use both X and Y ends up using,
> indirectly, two different XML libraries. So what?

Well... if XML lib A and XML lib B have different features, and/or do
things in a slightly different way then it is possible that the program
that uses them both may end up with that different behaviour in one or
more places which could be frustrating for users, imagine..

"why can't I do <X> <here>, I can do it <there>"

Also, it just doesn't sit well with me to duplicate functionality like
that, it just _feels_ wrong.

Regan