Tango quibbles - please write tickets so we can track them

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Sun Sep 16 04:11:50 PDT 2007

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:55:04 +0100, Janice Caron wrote:

> On 9/16/07, kris <foo at bar.com> wrote:
>> First impressions are one thing whilst assertions over how things came
>> to be are quite another.
>
> No problem. Now that I understand that you are not interested in
> hearing my unsolicited opinions on the matter, I shall trouble you
> with them no more.
>
>> To write off an extensive library as being constructed by an
>> "amateurish" group (as you noted) simply because it doesn't adhere to
>> some minor stylistic suggestion is, well -- to apply your terminology --
>> rather petty. Is it not? Certainly not helpful in the constructive sense?
>
> I don't consider the D Style Guide by Walter Bright to be a "minor
> stylistic suggestion", I consider it to be part of the D
> specificiation.

I really don't think that Walter sees them as a part of the specification.

> I quote: "Submissions to Phobos and other official D source code will
> follow these guidelines."

You do know that "guideline" is not the same as "rule". These are things
that Walter suggests that one ought to do to do based on his exeriences and
opinions. They are not compulsions. Quoting from the same document that you
just did,  "The D Style is not enforced by the compiler, it is purely
cosmetic and a matter of choice."

I do not follow these all these guidelines in my D programming, because
there are a few that I believe are misguided. That is my opinion and I
expect other people to have differing opinions. And that's okay by me.

The style in Tango is also not to my liking, but that doesn't influence my
decision not to use Tango. In it favour though, it is written in a
consistant style, which can't be said universally for phobos.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia