D Conference Tango Phobos

TomD t_demmer_no_spam_ at web.de
Sun Sep 16 06:52:55 PDT 2007

renoX Wrote:
[...]
> > Better support for localization for one.  Tango's routines let you
> > change the order of arguments in the format string, since the grammars
> > of different languages don't always use the same word order.  You can
> > say "{1} is {2}" in Tango, in contrast to "%s is %s" of writefln.
>
> Somehow I don't see that requiring me to count where my arguments are as
> a progress for me.

That is not the point. To me, french makes a lot more sense if I read
the sentences from back to front, because that way the grammar becomes
closer to German and I only need to figure out the meaning of the words
(This probably tells you a lot about my knowledge of French :-)
By the same reasoning, it sounds in some languages more elegant to say
"Apples are there 3", instead of "There are 3 apples".
Now you can program somehting like
print("There are {1} {2}", number, fruits);
Actually, you say something like

print(wxT("There are {1} {2}"), number, fruits);

Now, the translator comes into play to translate your program into
something like Swahili. He knows nothing about pogramming, but that

"There are {1} {2}"
is in Swahili
"Hakuna {2} matata {1}" (This tells you something about my Swahili
knowledge :-)
wxT() is actually the localizing function, a table lookup where
"There are {1} {2}" goes in and "Hakuna {2} matata {1}" comes
back.

Ciao
Tom