Tango quibbles - please write tickets so we can track them

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 12:14:06 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter Wrote:

> Janice Caron wrote:
> > On 9/16/07, kris <foo at bar.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't consider the D Style Guide by Walter Bright to be a "minor
> > stylistic suggestion", I consider it to be part of the D
> > specificiation.
> >
> > http://digitalmars.com/d/dstyle.html
> >

> It's just a list of stylistic choices Walter prefers.  Nothing more
> nothing less.
>
> "The D Style ... is purely cosmetic and a matter of choice."
>

> One thing you'll find out about Walter is that while he's great at
> writing compilers, he's actually not a very active D user (the compiler
> is written in C++), and not much of a software engineering guy in
> general.  He's a nuts and bolts kind of guy.  I'm not actually too
> familiar with his style recommendations, but he's not the first guy I'd
> go to for advice about coding style.
>
> --bb

Try reading the DMD source code some time if you're ever in the mood for a short horror film. You'd better be a big fan of "goto" and not a fan of indentation. Then, if you're not huddling under the bedcovers yet, check out Descent's Java port of it.

But the code is fast and works well, so, hey, nothing wrong with that ;-P!