Tango quibbles - please write tickets so we can track them

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Sun Sep 16 14:52:29 PDT 2007

Reply to Robert,

> Bill Baxter Wrote:
>
>> Janice Caron wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/16/07, kris <foo at bar.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't consider the D Style Guide by Walter Bright to be a "minor
>>> stylistic suggestion", I consider it to be part of the D
>>> specificiation.
>>>
>>> http://digitalmars.com/d/dstyle.html
>>>
>> It's just a list of stylistic choices Walter prefers.  Nothing more
>> nothing less.
>>
>> "The D Style ... is purely cosmetic and a matter of choice."
>>
>> One thing you'll find out about Walter is that while he's great at
>> writing compilers, he's actually not a very active D user (the
>> compiler is written in C++), and not much of a software engineering
>> guy in general.  He's a nuts and bolts kind of guy.  I'm not actually
>> too familiar with his style recommendations, but he's not the first
>> guy I'd go to for advice about coding style.
>>
>> --bb
>>
> Try reading the DMD source code some time if you're ever in the mood
> for a short horror film. You'd better be a big fan of "goto" and not a
> fan of indentation. Then, if you're not huddling under the bedcovers
> yet, check out Descent's Java port of it.
>
> But the code is fast and works well, so, hey, nothing wrong with that
> ;-P!

That reminds me of the story of Outlook (Yes MS's app). It started out life
as a really nice architected, multi-threaded, modular, OOed, clean, wonderful
program that took 5 minutes to load a e-mail. After a few months of work
to get that down, it was shipped as as a vary "Practical" code base that
was the de facto stress test for Visual Studio (you need 7 MB of actual code
in one DLL?!) I think there is an inverse relation between fast and clean
code. Really nice code is kinda slow. Really fast code is kinda ugly.