Tango quibbles - please write tickets so we can track them

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 17 04:16:48 PDT 2007

On 9/17/07, Alexander Panek <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> wrote:
> I think that analogy limps massively. Books, as well as software, have a

Books, TV programs, movies, /anything/, it doesn't matter. ANYTHING
which makes a claim on your spare time is something you have to decide
whether or not you can afford that spare time.

Pick a TV program you don't like. Are you going to change the channel,
or switch off and do something else entirely? Or are you going to join
the film crew? If you don't like game shows, you switch off - you
don't go and join the company that makes them to try to make them
better? If you didn't like a particular movie, you just don't watch
the sequel - you don't go and join the filmmaking crew and try to make
the next one better. And if you read a book and discover you don't
like it, then every one of us - even you - will simply put it down and
not bother with it, rather than contact the author and explain how to
write it better. That's not arrogant, it's just the flat reality that
*consumers have a choice* of what they want to do with their leisure
time.

Likewise, when someone shows me a programming library in which I have
no interest, I just put it down. The /last/ thing I would do is get
involved with making it. You expect me to get involved in creating
something I don't like and in which I have no interest? That's absurd.
The answer is no. That's not arrogant, that's just saying no.

I was asked to help. I said no, because I've only got so much free
time, and I'd rather spend it doing other things. If you think that
entitles you to call me arrogant, well, hey, I guess there's really no
arguing with that is there?