Tango quibbles - please write tickets so we can track them

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 17 07:37:55 PDT 2007

On 9/17/07, Sean Kelly <sean at f4.ca> wrote:
> A more accurate analogy still, however, is to compare a software library
> to a tool.  In the construction trades I believe you'll find that
> complex tools are often customized by the user and craftsmen often even
> submit feedback to tool designers in an attempt to improve the
> suitability of tools for the work involved.  Spare time typically isn't
> an issue because the time spent is a part of work, not leisure.  In
> fact, some of Tango's users are actually involved in commercial
> projects.  I only wish I had the time to respond to their requests and
> bug reports that I would if maintaining Tango were my job.  Truth be
> told, Tango is already more popular than I expected it would be.

I disagree, because in this instance, nobody asked me for feedback.
Instead, Kris asked me to *COMMIT MY SPARE TIME* and *HELP WITH THE
DOCUMENTATION*. That's what I said no to. I did not say no to giving
feedback.

If you want to make the tool analogy, I'm not even using the damn
tool! Instead, I looked at it, said "I don't think I'll be using it",
and then the tool designer said "So help me improve it a bit", so I
said "I ain't got time, mate, sorry". End of analogy.

If you guys are trying to make me feel guilty about this, it's not
going to work. If you don't like my analogies - fine! But for crying
out loud do we really have to spend several zillion posts trying to
argue about whether or not the analogy works? I was just trying to
explain why I said no, that's all. I didn't realise doing so was going
to cause so much grief.