D Conference Tango Phobos

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Sep 17 10:36:23 PDT 2007

Matti Niemenmaa wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Janice Caron wrote:
>>> And what's with the .newline? Isn't "\n" supposed to translate to the
>>> platform-specific linebreak convention? Besides, it looks weird,
>>> having the newline specified differently from all the other bits of
>>> output.
>> You're free to use "\n" as well--it works in all the cases I've tried.
>> The .newline method is similar to std::endl in C++.
>
> "\n" doesn't translate to "\r\n" on Windows, .newline does.

Yup.  This doesn't matter for console output, but it might matter for
file output.  YMMV.

> (Also, .newline flushes, but that's beside the point.)

Not always :-)  .newline doesn't flush if the output is to a console and
is not redirected, I believe.  It's been somewhat difficult to find a
good balance between performance and logical behavior there, and the
current behavior is the best compromise between the two that we've been
able to come up with.

Sean