How does the compiler look for the files of imports?

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 20:22:54 PDT 2007

"BCS" <ao at pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ce0a3343236848c9c8a90d5226c2 at news.digitalmars.com...

> What I'm thinking of is; start with the given file, if you can't find the
> imports and they share a common package prefix, check if the containing
> directory has your package as a suffix. If it does try removing the sufix
> and then check for the modules. For consistency, If you can't find /all/
> imports using this new root in replacement of the current directly, then
> fail

So, you want the compiler to check the current directory and one directory
up.  Why not arbitrarily high up in the directory hierarchy?  It seems like
you want the compiler to solve this one problem, which is not so much a
problem as it is a misunderstanding of the correct behavior.

Just compile from the correct directory, use -I, or use a build tool.  It's
not like there aren't simple solutions already.