What Happend To Tango Graphic's Package

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 23:09:56 PDT 2007

Chad J Wrote:

> kris wrote:
> >
> > toUtf8() itself will very likely change when we make Tango compatible
> > with phobos, so that might make some folks happy. That change could
> > require a mechanical search/replace in user-code, but we'll very likely
> > add an alias to ease that migration. That is, toString() and toUtf8()
> > will likely map to the same this (at least temporarily).

> I hope polysemous types come out and solve this mess.  I do not like the
> first-class nature of char[] nor do I like toUtfXX().

What exactly do you mean by this? That you don't like the fact that objects can be implicitly converted to strings, that strings have special powers regular array types don't, or that 8-bit char types get prioritized over 16-bit and 32-bit types? I think the ability to implicitly convert an object to a string via toString is perfect for debugging, and the fact that strings can be used places other array types can't (like as template parameters) isn't bad at all, just more expressive power. The fact that char[] gets prioritized over wchar[] and dchar[] is a shame, though.