nan question

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Tue Sep 25 13:08:29 PDT 2007

Reply to bobef,

> All I'm saying it that it is nonsense that
> if(double.nan!=double.nan) returns false (IMHO).

NaN is "Not A Number" and considering that we are talking about numeric equality,
it is reasonable for something that isn't a NUMber to not be NUMerically
equal to anything. It is sort of like comparing to nothing (not the state
of nothing or a set of nothing, but the absolute omission or the entity)
this assertion "x is equal to" is syntactically broken so how can it be true?