Right now, what's the most important for the success and adoption of D?

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Sep 28 07:47:02 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> I wanted to probe the D community of the following issue:
>>
>> Right now, what would the most important thing for the success and
>> adoption of D? In other words, if one had to use D to develop a medium
>> or large scale software, what would be the most important things to
>> have, that we currently don't have (or aren't good enough)?
>
> 1. A solid debugging environment

Let me extend this by adding:

1b. A tools developer with a support contract.

The build team for a large project doesn't want to be dead in the water
if something doesn't work.  Unix development teams may be fairly used to
the open source model, but Windows development teams are not.  Having
the phone number of a support rep tends to make the Windows people feel
much more secure.  In fact, I feel fairly confident that the chances of
using D for Windows development at my current company would be basically
nil for this reason alone.  With a sufficiently stable compiler and
solid debugging features I think it would be possible for Unix projects
however.

Sean