GUI strategy?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 10:34:21 PDT 2007

"Gregor Richards" <Richards at codu.org> wrote in message
news:fdjc7i$14ka$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Regan Heath wrote:
>> Gregor Richards wrote:
>>> People complain that D needs a GUI because people are stupid and
>>> incompetent, and don't understand the concept of third-party libraries.
>>
>> Harsh.. I prefer to think they are simply un-enlightened as to the
>> presence of dsource.  I think having a standard D gui library alongside
>> the standard D library would be beneficial, even if it just does the
>> basics.  As long as it is enough to get people coding in D.
>>
>> Regan
>
> Yes, because having a standard GUI library has proven oh-so-beneficial in
> the past. Lesse ...
>
> Java:
>  1) AWT is the standard. Whoops, that sucks, so let's write
>  2) Swing, the new standard. Whoops, that sucks, so lots of things use
>  3) SWT, which is not standard in that it is not part of the standard
> library.
>
> Python:
>  1) Tkinter. Whoops, that sucks, so people wrote
>  <place huge list of good libraries here>
>
> D:
>  1) DWT. Who cares about platform compatibility or maintenance?
>
> Lesson learned? The standard always sucks because the standard can never
> change, and people will continue to use the standard even when there are
> superior alternatives. The desire to add GUIs to a standard library is
> part of the common ridiculously-poor design of monolithic standard
> libraries, and thankfully it doesn't have much steam for D.
>
>  - Gregor Richards

You forgot to mention:
C#:
.NET forms.  Wow, it's freaking awesome, lets use it ;)

Not that it matters much.  I think your overall point is correct.  The
presence of a good GUI library does not necessarily mean it has to be part
of the standard.  It just should exist and be as good as current GUI
libraries in other languages.

Disclaimer: I haven't used any D GUI library yet, so I am pretty much
talking out of my ass.

-Steve