Right now, what's the most important for the success and adoption of D?

Ingo Oeser ioe-news at rameria.de
Fri Sep 28 11:31:53 PDT 2007

Regan Heath wrote:

> The next thing that bothers me is the many, many, many, ..., many, many
> different build systems and inter-dependencies that the available
> libraries for D use.
>
> In my idea world I would be able to use DSSS (or similar) to obtain and
> build a library without having to first install:
>    rake
>    perl

In an professional D environment we would have tools
to create *.msi files for windows, *.dmg for MacOS
and LSB-3.1 compiliant *.rpm for Linux.

That would resolve most of these issues.
And one could start with DMD/DMC and GDC in these formats
to enable the user to compile the rest. Any Windows programmer
worth its money should be able to create a proper *.msi file.

Instead of getting things done, people reinvent the wheel
all the time, make it triangular and call it "the D way".

As much as I like creativeness, cooperation would be more needed
than new shapes of a wheel.

Best Regards

Ingo Oeser