Right now, what's the most important for the success and adoption of D?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Sep 28 12:16:09 PDT 2007

I'll often get the comment from non-D programmers that the reason they
don't use D is because D lacks feature X, and X is a requirement for
their needs. I point out the fact that the programming language they do
use also lacks feature X. Obviously, X is not the real reason.

The real reason is because D is new and different, and their peers
aren't using D. They worry about being the sucker that adopts the new
technology and winds up being embarrassed. They're not early adopters.
Some have flat out told me they won't consider adopting D until they see
more projects done by more people in D.

More features won't help. More libraries and more tools help indirectly
by showing that more people are using D.

What will help a lot in making D seem "real" is to up our presence. This
means more web pages that mention D, more articles, that talk about
doing things in D. Magazine articles, like getting one in DDJ, are a BIG
win here. Getting stuff on Digg, Reddit, and Slashdot help a lot. When
programmers constantly are seeing "D" in the ordinary course of their
work, that comfort level will be there, and they'll get on the bandwagon.

As an aside, at the Astoria Seminar http://www.astoriaseminar.com I
decided not to bring up D because it was a C++ conference and I didn't
want people to be annoyed thinking I was using it as a platform to sell
D. But a lot of the people had heard about D, were interested, and asked
me a lot of questions about it. They were genuinely interested. So I
think the pump is primed, we just have to always look for opportunities
to mention D.