Right now, what's the most important for the success and adoption of D?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Sep 28 15:25:08 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> I'll often get the comment from non-D programmers that the reason they
> don't use D is because D lacks feature X, and X is a requirement for
> their needs. I point out the fact that the programming language they do
> use also lacks feature X. Obviously, X is not the real reason.
>
> The real reason is because D is new and different, and their peers
> aren't using D. They worry about being the sucker that adopts the new
> technology and winds up being embarrassed. They're not early adopters.
> Some have flat out told me they won't consider adopting D until they see
> more projects done by more people in D.
>
> More features won't help. More libraries and more tools help indirectly
> by showing that more people are using D.
>
> What will help a lot in making D seem "real" is to up our presence. This
> means more web pages that mention D, more articles, that talk about
> doing things in D. Magazine articles, like getting one in DDJ, are a BIG
> win here. Getting stuff on Digg, Reddit, and Slashdot help a lot. When
> programmers constantly are seeing "D" in the ordinary course of their
> work, that comfort level will be there, and they'll get on the bandwagon.

I wasn't really asking about dissemination or marketing. The question
was more like: assuming a person that is already knowledgeable of D, and
in control of what language and tools to use in his/her team, what
issues would matter the most in adopting D. (and how that compare to
other languages)

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student