GUI strategy?

torhu no at spam.invalid
Fri Sep 28 16:10:09 PDT 2007

Frank Benoit wrote:
> Again and again it is said in this newsgroup: "D needs a GUI"
> But there are existing alternatives:
> DFL/GTKD/MinWin/DWT/wxD/....
> (and more http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GuiLibraries)
> So I think some ppl are happy with one of those existing solutions.
>
> So what is missing for those, who say D needs a GUI?
>
> In the world outside of D, there are those big ones:
> - .NET/Mono
> - Eclipse RCP, Netbeans
> - QT
> - ...?
>
> They all are not only a GUI, say a collection of basic controls. They
> are complete frameworks. They offer complete Dialogs, separation of data
> and presentation (MFC/data binding), persistance, update mechnisms,
> docking systems, extension mechanisms, tools, IDE support, commercial
> support, ...
>
> Is it something like this, ppl mean if they say 'D needs a GUI'?
> I can only speak for myself, and yes, that is what I think. I wish i
> could use a framework, which has an answer for many of the common tasks
> while building a GUI application.
>
> What do you think, does this problem "D needs a GUI" really exist?
> Seriously, how can this be solved in the next 1..2 years?
> .... and who will do it?

It doesn't seem likely that a complete, cross-platform, well maintained
gui library written from scratch in D is going to surface for the next 5
years or so.  Maybe never if D doesn't gain more momentum.

Since I like SWT better than wxWidgets, the best thing as I see it would
be that the tioport project is able to solve its current problems. The
problems being exe size, and the tango/phobos compatibility issue, off
the top of my head.  I know that both problems might depend on Walter
doing his part, but that might happen sooner or later.  Who knows.