Right now, what's the most important for the success and adoption of D?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 18:27:11 PDT 2007

I can't really disagree with what anyone else has said so far, so I'll
throw in something new:

A new D compiler that is 100% independent of the DigitalMars code base.
 Doesn't have to be efficient, doesn't have to have awesome code
generation, but it needs to exist and it needs to be conformant.

And it needs to be written in D itself. :)

Why?  Take a look at how changes get added to Python.  Someone comes
along, and thinks "hey, X would be a useful feature!"  They introduce
the feature to the newsgroup, write up a Python Enhancement Proposal,
and discuss it.  In D's case, we stop about here (albeit without any
kind of formal proposal system).  With Python, they then typically go
off and write a patch to the interpreter to implement the change so that
people can experiment with it to see if it's useful or not.  Having an
easy to modify D compiler written in D would make this much easier, and
allow proposed features to actually be prototyped instead of those
long-winded entirely hypothetical threads on the NG where people argue
endlessly about a feature they can't actually test.

There's also the benefit that implementing the language spec will force
the language to be completely defined; it'll highlight holes, and ensure
the spec makes sense.

Also, we can finally say to people: "yes, D does have a compiler
implemented in D itself."  Not that it really matters, but perception
does. :)

Anyway, just thought I'd add something instead of just parroting.  Now
if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get some biscuits...

	-- Daniel