GUI strategy?

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Sat Sep 29 01:42:35 PDT 2007

Regan Heath wrote:

> Don't get me wrong I'm all for there being as many GUI libraries as
> people want, all with myriad pros/cons, but the downside of this can be
> seen in the current situation where we have a number of half finished
> libraries.

> It would be better to focus effort on one library and get it to a stage
> where it's good enough to use for a major project.  At least then if
> people write custom components etc it's likely they're written for this
> library and not some other one.

Look, open source model doesn't work like this in general. First you have to
make people agree on license, then supported platforms (OSes, supported
compilers, build tools, tango vs phobos, ...), coding conventions (tabs vs
spaces, placement of braces, use of templates, exceptions, OOP vs AOP vs
LOP vs C-style functions, documentation syntax, ...), NIH factor
(especially if any commercial entity shows interest), etc. The end result
is a cartesian product of all these. The only thing people agree on is the
language (well, some might still want to write parts of the product using
scripting languages and/or assembler and so on).