Condition variables?

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 29 22:59:54 PDT 2007

On 9/30/07, downs <default_357-line at yahoo.de> wrote:
> What does one need condition variables for?
> I'm honestly curious. I've written a few multithreaded programs in D
> and, so far, haven't needed them :)

I would guess you're a Windows programmer?

You don't need them in Windows. Windows has plenty of other mechanisms
for doing synchronisation. Condition variables is "the linux way".

Still, I've never really got the hang of them either, so I'd love for
David to explain further.

In any case, I don't think they could be put into Phobos except as a
wrapper around pthreads ... which doesn't exist on Windows. Oh what
joy.