Right now, what's the most important for the success and adoption of D?

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Sun Sep 30 08:50:45 PDT 2007

Jascha Wetzel wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> I tried ddbg for the first time yesterday and all in all it's pretty
>> nice.  However, it would be helpful if the pretty printing facilities
>> were improved.  From the console, I had trouble figuring out how to
>> print any variables by name, and inside Code::Blocks I couldn't figure
>> out a way to pretty print info about class instances (structs and
>> basic types weren't a problem though).
>
> On the command line
> = varname
> = object.member
> print the values,
> t varname
> t object.member
> print the types of these expressions.
> lsv
> prints the values of all local variables.
> The docs give more examples for expressions including casts, array
> access/slicing, dereferencing, etc.
>
> Is that what you were looking for? If so, how would you expect the help
> text to describe these commands in an obvious way?

Ah, it was the '=' and 't' I missed.  They were in the 'expressions'
category and for some reason I just skipped right over it.  'lsv' is
actually fine for displaying local variables, and I'd used that before.
  I think the docs are actually fine as-is.  I simply didn't spend
enough time with ddbg.

> Last time i checked, Code::Blocks had a few problems with parsing the
> value output of structs, objects and arrays (everything with nesting
> curly braces). weird things tend to happen there...
> If in doubt, you need to use the command line.

No worries.  I normally debug C++ code with emacs anyway, but I wanted
to check out the Code::Blocks integration as an alternative.

Sean