GUI strategy?

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Sun Sep 30 23:28:52 PDT 2007

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>> Walter "blessed" DWT (I believe it was) and... it promptly died.
>>
>> Granted, we've got Tioport making excellent progress now, but I don't
>> think Walter wants to bless any particular library that he himself isn't
>> responsible for.
>>
>> As for getting the community to agree on one, good luck on that.  I
>> remember lots of threads about designing a community-standard, and no
>> one could agree on something as basic as: should it owner-draw or use
>> native widgets.  Both sides have very good, solid arguments for them.
>> And people in general have a habit of (sometimes violently) backing
>> their very good, solidly justified team. :)
>>

> Nor will there ever be an agreement on those issues, just as there isn't
> outside of the D community. It seems to be kinda like static vs. dynamic
> languages where everyone has a favorite that more adequately suits them,
> but no objective best one.
> Still, I think it would be reasonable to hope that at least in each
> category, there could be a standard (as in, de facto) GUI library.

I think so too. A case I'm particularly interested in is an owner-draw control.
(an example I have in mind is a x-y chart).
I'd hope for significant code reuse, regardless of whether such a control is
used inside a framework which use native-widget or owner-draw for the basic
widgets. Surely we can do that.