Fully transitive const is not necessary

Craig Black craigblack2 at cox.net
Tue Apr 1 09:22:44 PDT 2008

Walter/Andrei are under the impression that transitive const is necessary
for multiprogramming, but they have not presented a detailed explanation
about why it is necessary.  It sounds like a more detailed explanation of
the merits of transitive const from Walter/Andrei would help here.

One idea that I had recently was that the const keyword could provide
logical const (for developers) and the invariant keyword could provide
transitive const (for the compiler).  I agree with you that for logical
const, it is practical to have something like C++ mutable for class/struct
fields.  I use C++ const, and it is practical to be able to subvert it.

-Craig