Fully transitive const is not necessary

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Tue Apr 1 20:16:57 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Craig Black wrote:
>> Walter/Andrei are under the impression that transitive const is
>> necessary for multiprogramming, but they have not presented a detailed
>> explanation about why it is necessary.  It sounds like a more detailed
>> explanation of the merits of transitive const from Walter/Andrei would
>> help here.
>
> That'll all come when we get the details worked out on how D will
> support multiprogramming. It's an ongoing effort, and current events are
> leading us to believe that this is getting extremely important.

If the ultimate goal is support for multiprogramming, then shouldn't the
detailed design work should start *there*, with how to do great
multiprogramming?  Rather than with const.

Not saying that you guys have done this, but I know from my own
experience doing research that it's easy to get hung up trying to solve
a tough but solvable problem that seems relevant for getting from A to
B, only to realize in the end that it was not as relevant as I thought.

--bb