Knight's Challenge in D

Chris Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 09:23:40 PDT 2008

Tower  Ty Wrote:

> Ill give it a run -Chess being one of my passions .

My brother refuses to play me, and has since he was ten.  Six years later I still can't convince him to play me.

Perhaps I should make a future project of mine an online multiplayer chess game (in D, using DWT)?  It could be fun to write, and of course, to "debug".

> Didn't see a statement of the problem as you first saw it so don't yet know what it does . I hope t find out .

There's a good article on Wikipedia.  I'm afraid I lost the original document which I first got the problem from.

> Looked at your site and forum but could not leave a pst there so I guess you have to register for that and I don't join forums which are not free speech forums.

Hmm...  Excellent point.  I'll have to rethink my submission mechanism.  I was going to give an email address, though sadly whenever I put it on the 'net in one more location, that invariably creates more spam for me.

I wouldn't really call my forum non "free speech."  I just want to make sure that speech is put in the right category so when you're looking for speech, it's where it should be.  I also keep it closed to prevent the inevitable: spam.

Spam happens everywhere.  I just don't want it on my site, and I don't want to leave it open.  I don't want to spend my time deleting spam.

And obviously I censor speech that isn't legal in the United States, and stuff that would violate my web hosting contract.  If you don't like that, well, all I can say is "take it up with Uncle Sam."

> I quote from the site and thought the following pretty well says it all.
>
> Free Advice -- If you are keen you will take comments and criticism from any source and work to fix them avidly . When you lay down rules which say " if you don't post where I want it  I will ignore it " that tells me immediately your not likely to succeed. The advice ? change your attitude quickly.

I have learned that from sad experience.  I have run forums, mailing lists, and sites where users just plain put things in the wrong place.  It's extremely annoying, and I desperately want to spend more time coding and less time playing admin.

Also, I do think it says that I tend to ignore things that aren't in the right place.

I shall amend the rules, since you do make a good point.  I really don't want too many people registering on my site, anyways.  The more passwords I'm entrusted to keep secret and away from prying eyes, the more stress on me to ensure proper security and hashing technique.  A total mess, in other words.

>  [quote]
> We prefer that you try to contact us on the forum. It's there for a reason. If you have a suggestion or a bug for our software, please, use the ticket system. We tend to ignore things that are placed where they shouldn't be.
>
> We also have a public mailing list which we use for internal announcements.
>
> If you absolutely have to get a hold of someone, there is also the #fsdev IRC room on freenode.
>
> If nothing else works, you can try to email Lord Sauron directly. It's just lord_sauron at fsdev dot net.
>
> If that still doesn't work, it's very possible that we're directly ignoring you.
> [/quote]

And no, I really don't ignore people very often.  Heck, I can't remember the last time I ignored someone.  Well, excluding spammers.

I just put it there to prevent any kind of conceivable liability issues.  Better safe than sorry!