Forums suffering Priority Inversion with Livelock

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 07:13:41 PDT 2008

"Daniel" wrote

> I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm noticing a livelock
> priority inversion in the forums.  Everyone's spending months arguing
> about constness, when there are clear, simple, and higher priority issues
> to resolve.

It all depends on your priorities :)  Mine is to make sure D2 will be
adopted by Tango, and for that, const needs to be reasonable.

> 1) The x86-32 platform is obsolete, and D still can't run x86-64, and only
> supports SSE if you hand code it in assembler.  One step away from being
> targetted to 16-bit x286.  x86-64 has been out for a 5 years now.

I'd hazard to guess that 90% of software developers couldn't care less.  If
I have an x86-64 platform, I have no idea, I just know the compiler makes
code and it runs :)  And my computer is only a year old, so it probably is
an x86-64.  IMO, this should be a low priority item, as it has nothing to do
with the language, it's a compiler issue.

> 2) Compiling a program with extern (C) main(){ return 1; } still doesn't
> let you cut the excess 80kb of fat.  I don't care what's in there, it
> needs to be included "on use".

Again, compiler not language.  But I think this one is really important, as
nobody likes bloat, and really, OS's have been using dynamic loading code
for over a decade...

-Steve