unpaintable (the solution to logical const)

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 4 07:21:47 PDT 2008

On 04/04/2008, Jason House <jason.james.house at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Sort of a rhetorical question, but is there a method of debate that could have lead to a faster resolution?  A lot of posts looked to be knee-jerk reactions, trying to defend a position rather than understanding what the other person was trying to say.

That's a misleading impression. We /didn't/ understand what each other
was saying, but that's not because of entrenchment. In fact, I think
it had a lot more to do with using different words for the same thing,
and the same words for different things, and ... you know ...
basically just not speaking the same language. But eventually, there's
that "ping" moment when you "get it".

You said the question was rhetorical, so I guess you know the answer's
probably no. Nothing substitutes for debate, except debate. You have
to argue, or you don't learn. You'll never find out you're wrong if
you don't try to defend your case.