Forums suffering Priority Inversion with Livelock

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 08:20:34 PDT 2008

"e-t172" wrote
> Steven Schveighoffer a écrit :
>> I'd hazard to guess that 90% of software developers couldn't care less.
>> If I have an x86-64 platform, I have no idea, I just know the compiler
>> makes code and it runs :)  And my computer is only a year old, so it
>> probably is
>
> Imagine you want to compile a program for a Debian x86_64 (or any other
> 64bit distribution). Problem is, you can't link a 32bit program to 64bit
> libraries. So if you want to link your D program to third party C
> libraries, you're basically screwed. Therefore, I think they care,
> actually.

I didn't realize this was the case, so it's not as much a non-issue as I
thought.  But I think you might be in the minority, there are still plenty
of actively developed 32-bit OSes for Intel processors, so the suggestion
that D is focusing on a platform as dead as 286s is grossly false.

Besides that point, there is no reason that we can't have discussions on the
NG about language features AND have other people port the D compiler to
x86_64.  AFAIK, gdc is open source and you are welcome to try and port it.

-Steve