Mutable and pure - Should we move this discussion offsite?

guslay guslay at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 11:23:49 PDT 2008

It seems to me that we have reached the limits of the public forum format. Any further reflection will be lost in the noise.

I think all the arguments that could me made are out there. If we want the discussion to progress, we need a way to structure and expose the arguments, definitions, examples and counter-examples in a systematic approach.

I propose either,

A - We move the discussion to a wiki ( http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi ? ).

B - People interested can individually, or collectively, submit a comprehensive proposal (iso-c++ style, yeah).

It would give breading room to other subjects, and a more efficient way to invest our energy. I hope that Walter will play along, and expose the flaws in our collective judgment, or correct misinformation.

Themes that could be discussed:

- Key concepts definition.
- Why mutable is useful.
- How mutable can be emulated? How is this equivalent?
- What is the impact on the language?
- What is a pure function?
- What's the impact of mutable on pure function? Could mutable members go undetected inside a pure function?