const

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 5 03:17:21 PDT 2008

On 05/04/2008, Don Clugston <dac at nospam.com.au> wrote:
>  That looks pretty obscure to me. Besides, a paragraph later...
>
>  "For new program development, HP recommends that you use the const
>  modifier [for invariant data], because const is standard-conforming and
> readonly  is not."

Ha! Walter, you are officially hoisted by your own petard! :-)

Besides, ROM is only called ROM as a counterpoint to RAM. (ROM and RAM
- it's cute!) Funny how no one ever suggests that "random access" be
used as a synonym for "read/write".

How about we invent the brand new coined word "ro", short for
"borROwed", with the unambiguous meaning "I'm only borrowing this for
a bit, so I promise not to damage it while it's in my possession".
(The fact that "ro" could stand for other things is /entirely/
coincidental! :-))